A Trip to Nuremburg and the Spa
I finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince yesterday. Only took me a week. I would've been done much sooner of course but I have to leave the hotel once in a while. LOL Anyhow, it was really good but Rowling really left things off very differently than she has in the other books. Also, the last few chapters were pretty depressing. So how long will it be until the next book is out?
On Saturday a group of us along with Bernd went to Nuremburg, which is only about an hours drive from Coburg. It really is a beautiful city. Even though it sustained a great deal of damage during WWII, there are still a great deal of the old buildings in tact. One church we went in had had it's whole roof destroyed during bombings. Luckily it was later restored to it's original state, but you can see clearly where the original stones end and the new ones begin because of the color variation. It was a Protestant church so it's decor was a little less flashy than some. We were not able to get any pictures though, because it was prohibited. We next headed to the market square where the Schoener Brunnen Fountain is located. I have never seen anything like it. It looked as though it was painted, very different from the carved stone and bronze cast fountains that we have typically seen. There was a cast iron latticework cage around it, which I am guessing was put in to protect the fountain and to prevent people from using the cannons that were once used to fill buckets with water from the fountain. In the latticework surrounding the fountain there is a single gold ring. Bernd told us that us the ring was allegedly placed there by a goldsmith that was wishing to marry the daughter of a prosperous man. The man told the goldsmith that he was not good enough at his chosen trade to marry his daughter. So in order to prove his proficiency at his craft he installed the gold ring into the latticwork of the fountain. So now people who visit the fountain go up and give the gold ring a single turn in order to have their wish come true. Pretty neat! LOL We then headed toward the city wall and the Albrecht Durer House. We didn't go into the house but did come across a rather morbid bronze statue that another artist had created as a tribute to Durer. Albrecht Durer was a key figure in the German renaissance who did carvings, etchings, oil paintings among other things. This bronze rabbit we came across was pretty crazy. You just have to see the picture, because words just don't do it justice! LOL Next we climbed ANOTHER big hill that lead us up to the Kaiserburg Castle. The view from the castle wall was amazing! You could see the whole city from here. I suppose it was worth the pain and suffering of walking up the big cobblestoned hill! LOL That cobblestone is some rough stuff. We got some lunch finally! We ate at this place that we guessed was some sort of Argentinian restaraunt. Everything was great, especially the crepes we got for dessert! Can we say YUMMY! LOL We tried to go to the "Blind Cafe" next but I guess it is closed on Saturday, so that was a no go. Marsh was pretty bummed because he was really looking forward to going there, but we'll get there another time. We then decided to head to the Toy Museum. It wasn't as great as we anticipated to be honest but it was still pretty cool. They had toys from all throughout history. There was a big arched bridge that went over one of the doorways that built completely with an Erector Set, or Mechano for you Canadians. It even had a little train on top of it that went back and forth across it. They had huge rooms from dollhouses that had fine china, ornate furniture, and one even had a working clock. Oh the things money can buy! LOL There was a rather large model train setup that was supposed to resemble some cattle town in the midwest, whose name I can't remembeLOL lol It was impressive though. On the top floor they had play area for kids and a room with a time line kind of deal set up with toys to show the evolution of toys throughout history. I felt a little old when I started noticing things that I played with in there! LOL I'm sure my mom will remember "Barbie and the Rockers." Well they had her! The exact one I had! LOL Eric would've crapped because they even had a Star Wars exhibit. I even recognized the Ewok Village playset that Eric had, the one that looked like a treehouse with a platform held up by three treetrunk! LOL I have to admitt, thoughts of the long lost Gilligans Island bathtub toy drifted through my mind. I am still a little upset about losing those seven stranded castaways and there little island! LOL After all that walking we decided to find the Fountain of Life and head home. The Fountain of Life was quite possibly the most amazing thing I have ever seen with my own four eyes! LOL It was beautiful. The outer edges were carved out of marble and the center part of the fountain was bronze. The fountain told a story of sorts. Each section of the fountain showed a different part of life and it was just huge. We will post some pictures this week hopefully.
Yesterday we decided to take it easy. We went for what was supposed to be a short little drive, but turned into a three hour drive. We went north of Coburg and drove through this really hilly area. When we finally got back to the hotel, Marsh of course took a nap and I finished my book. Around six we went calling on Bernd to get directions to the spa. He decided to come along, and we were off to the Bad Colberg Spa. We decided not to go in the Sauna, because quite frankly I don't enjoy sweating my ass off to begin with, and I certainly would not enjoy doing so in the nude! LOL I guess that's how they do things here but I still think it's grody and have no desire to get nakey with a hut full of other nakey sweaty people. EWWWW! So we just stuck to the mineral baths. Each basin had different minerals and or temperatures of water in them, and there were about 10 or 12 different tubs of water. It was nice because they weren't super hot nor were they smelly like the place I went to in Sulfur Springs! LOL Some pools had really strong jets, some had currents that created a whirlpool kind of thing. Others were more mild with subtle jets creating gentle curents or bubbles. There was even one that had salt so that you couldn't do anything but float! LOL It was the strangest feeling. I of course made the mistake of leaning forward and trying to swim when I first got in and my ass just went flying up to the surface and I ended up with a face full of salt water. ICK! LOL The salt water would've been a lot better if I hadn't had a big cut on my arm and razor burn on my legs. Can we say OUCH! Two of the pools allowed you to enter from indoors and swim outdoors. One of these indoor outdoor pools had these like gigantic faucet looking things on one side that all of a sudden started spurting out water and creating a pretty strong current. I walked under it and it about knocked my head off of my shoulders! LOL The spa was cool though, especially after a day of walking up and down hill in Nuremburg. We will definately be going back.
Well hope all is well with everyone at home. We will post more pictures soon. Take care and leave us more messages, I mean look at how much we write for you guys! LOL

4 Comments:
Hey guys,
Sounds like you have been having some excellent adventures. Oh, the images the spa envoked - yes, you could say ewwwwwwwww! Anyway we are chugging along here - Uncle Bill and I are going to see Dave Saturday - should be another fun time in the big apple. Di went back to work today. So I guess we are all doing well - July has been kind of a pain - Uncle Bill has been on call and believe it or not he was on a conference/trouble call from 3:00 pm Saturday until 2:00 am on Sunday and back at it at 6:00 am. There was one guy from Chicago on the call and they had to finally ask him to put them on mute because of all the sirens they could hear and it was a bit ditrcating. I guess he lives on the the South side of Chicago next to a fire station. It is sooooooo hot here no one wants to go outside. It is expected to reach 95 today with high humidity. Sounds like the sauna at the spa. You guys take care - Love the Brinkman clan
hey you two, just one more day until pam and I leap out of an airplane. wish us luck! hahaha
I felt really bad the other day. My friends Alex and luciani went on vacation and I was going over there to feed their fish. But its been so hot here the tempature of the water rose very high and when I went over there the other day 5 of the fish were dead!! They weren't mad they understood, but I felt pretty bad well any way see ya later
cousin dave
I'll continue the trend and post a message from yet another Brinkman.
How are you two doing???? I hope you aren't experiencing the same heat wave we are. It is soo humid here that Beau compared walking outside to walking through jello.
I'm jealous you finised Harry Potter already. I'm only on the second chapter. Is it really depressing? I hope it isn't as sad as the last one. It took me a couple weeks to get over that.
My trip was awesome. I love Europe!!! I'm sorry we couldn't get together in Prague. I tried to call your phone a couple times and it wouldn't let me through. If you guys have time, I reccommend that you go to Prague. It is a big tourist city, but it is beyond words. The architecture of every building was amazing. We went on a dinner cruise down the Platova (sp?) river at night and the views were incredible. The best part of the trip was the camp though. You should be proud of me lindz, I used an out house for an entire week! I think that'll go down as one of my life's greatest accomplishments. Well, I'm at work, so I should probably get goin. Have a great day! Love, Di
I can picture it now, (Lindsey in the salt bath...LOL...)
Are you ever going to forgive me for doing away with the Gilligans Island bath toy. You stayed in the tub so long (remember PRUNEY) you had to go to bed and get up for school. Well sounds like all is well and hope you guys continue having a good time. let me know when you will be returning I need to plan a visit. Love, Mom
Post a Comment
<< Home